Thursday, May 16, 2013

Figure 19 is A Killer!

Maybe I've been watching too many court shows, but whenever I hear an educator refer to Figure 19, I immediately think of a lawyer submitting evidence in a court case.  "Your Honor, as evidence of our students' lack of metacognitive reading skills, I submit Figure 19." For those of you who do not fall in the category of Texas Reading Teacher, Figure 19 is basically a combination of every higher-level comprehension skill all rolled in to one student expectation or TEKS (Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills).  It covers everything from author's purpose to inferring to summarizing and making connections.  There's so much packed into this one little gem that we actually have sub-skills broken down into parts A-F.  Though all of Figure 19's goonies are a rough crowd, the real mob bosses are Figure 19 D (inferences) and Figure 19 E (summarizing.) Both of these characters are relentless when it comes to chopping our kids tests scores on state assessments and we need to find a way to get them in check right from the very beginning.
Figure 19 is guilty of murdering our test scores!

It is extremely difficult to teach students how to infer.  Summarizing seems like it would be a bit easier but the way the questions on the state assessment (STAAR) are written, these are actually very tricky questions as well.  We cannot assume that our students know how to do any of these things. We have to explicitly teach the steps for each skill and break them down as much as possible.  We have to practice a lot. But most importantly, we have to teach our students how to think.
How do we do that?  Well, in my opinion, it starts with a very real discussion about metacognition, a term so foreign, my spell-check is telling me that's not a word.  But it is a word, an important one.  Kids need to be aware of their thoughts.  They need to understand the process we go through when we are thinking, particularly, in this case, when we are thinking about reading, and they need to know how to use their own thoughts to determine what others are thinking--such as an author or another student in their class.  This is complicated stuff!  To complicate it even more, we need to start these discussions in kindergarten, or sooner, in order to ensure our students have enough practice before they reach the all important third grade state assessment. State assessments are just a measurement of what the student already knows and we can all agree that these are skills we all need as adults, so if our children do well in these areas on assessments, we can rest assured they are prepared to use these skills in everyday life.
In order to teach metacognitive skills, particularly to little ones, I begin with a lesson about elephants. You may have heard this one before, but perhaps not in the same light. I tell them to think about elephants and I give them lots of scenarios to consider--elephants on skateboards, elephants playing guitar, elephants with big floppy hats on.  Then, I tell them, "In just a few seconds, I'm going to tell you that you may not think of elephants for 10 seconds.  You may not think about elephants on skateboards or with hats on.  You may not think about elephants playing guitar.  It will be difficult because you are going to want to think about elephants.  But you cannot think about elephants. Ready, set, go!"  Then, I count to ten in my head and ask them what they were thinking about. Most of them will say elephants but a few will try to pretend that they were thinking about something else.  I explain that I was trying not to think about elephants, but that as soon as I started to think about something else, I remembered not to think about elephants, and the next thing I knew, I had an elephant creeping into my mind.  They all laugh and beg to try again.  Why?  Because it is a challenge, it's fun and silly.  Kids like that stuff.  But the real important part of the lesson comes next.  We talk about how they were paying attention to what they were thinking about.  We talk about seeing pictures in our mind and what was happening when an elephant would try to sneak his way in to that picture.  I tell them, "This is called metacognition.  It means thinking about your thinking. It is very important to pay attention to what is going on inside of your brain when you are reading a book or listening to someone talk because we need to know what we are thinking about in order to  grow our brains and think even deeper."  
Don't think about elephants!

Over time, kids start to understand this. They model the language that we use.  When reading aloud, good teachers pause and say things like, "Do you know what I'm thinking?"  or "I'm imaging. . . ."  They describe the movie they are making in their mind. They ask the questions kids don't even know to ask. They wonder about characters' feelings and motivation. Eventually, you will hear their little voices echoing your own phrases.  This is like magic! They will start asking those questions we've always wanted to hear come out of their little mouths. "Why did the Hungry Caterpillar eat all that yucky food? Didn't he know it was going to make his tummy hurt?" That leads to answers from other kids! "Maybe he ate it because his mom didn't tell him he couldn't.  I would eat lots of junk food,  too, if my mom didn't stop me."  Real world connections, inferences, predictions--if you model it, they will get it!
The bottom line is, we cannot ask "knowledge" and "understand" level questions and expect to grow "analyze" and "synthesize" level kids. It isn't going to happen. Our classrooms need to be Think Tanks in the sense that there's a whole lot of thinking going on in there.  We no longer have the luxury of saying kids "learn to read" in K-2 and "read to learn" in 3-12.  We have got to teach them to read to learn from the very beginning.  These skills go hand-in-hand, we can teach them simultaneously.  It will take more preparation on our part. We must think of better questions than, "What color was the caterpillar?" but we can do that because we are amazing at what we do! It's our job to curtail feisty Figure 19 and keep our kiddo's test scores--and their brains!--out of harms way.
I would love to hear about your metacognitive skills lessons!  If you leave a comment as anonymous,  for some reason, those are not showing up.  I've checked that my settings say anonymous comments are welcome but it's not working so please use a name--even if  it's fake!

13 comments:

  1. Great explanation! Love the Elephant example! You are right about modeling our own thought processes to the kiddos...I think they learn a whole bunch from that. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! I think sometimes we take for granted that they know what we are talking about, but a little modeling goes a long way.
      If you try the elephant game with your kids, let us know how it goes. I've never had a group who didn't love it.

      Delete
    2. I love the elephant lesson! I'm going to use it as a mid-year refresher on metacognition as I introduce paired passages to my students. I teach metacognition at the beginning of every 4th grade year based on a lesson from the book Comprehension Connections: Bridges to Strategic Reading by Tanny McGregor. I highly recommend this book!

      Delete
  2. OMG!!!! It's like you took dictation from me....I agree with EVERYTHING....Great read!! Wondering??? I have ideas on how to effectively "teach" F19 (Language to Literacy Chart) but I am curious to know some that you have used and proved successful (80% or higher mastery level)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! Glad you found the post useful! I think that's the trick, isn't it, finding what works for Fig. 19. We do a lot of inferring from pictures--what can you see, what can you infer. We build up from there. I think it works best when it's real life or authentic text--practice, practice, practice, before moving to passages and questions. The same can be said for the other components of Fig 19 (especially summary). We practice a lot with meaningful scenarios and then move on to passages, etc. Wish we didn't even have to go there, but we must. I do like the IStation lessons. There are a lot of questions that are higher level there and most of the students can get them with help. I also really like Scholastic's Core Clicks program. You can get a free trial for 30 days. Hate the name, love the program! If you check it out, let us know what you think. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for this - I have just returned to the classroom after nearly 20 years. I left in 1997 and earned a Masters of Divinity and have been working in ministry. I was a math teacher by training back in the early 90's...to say things have changed is a terrible understatement. I came back as an emergency fill in when a HS English teacher left in November of 2014. The administration had me take the certification test in the spring of 2015 and I passed, but not having any of the "how to teach reading/writing" classes has been tough. I have been reading all that I can anywhere I can find it. We bench marked a few weeks back and I have been analyzing the scores I received from our DMAC account to match TEKS to the weakest areas. I kept coming across the Fig.19 and in the list of TEKS I have for English 1, I never found any mention of Fig. 19. Thank you for this helpful explanation!

    I am in a small rural district with very limited resources and students who average reading at a 5th-7th grade level as freshmen. Trying to prepare them for the EOC has been a daunting task. I will continuing reading your posts. If you know of other resources that would be helpful for a newbie, I greatly appreciate all that I receive!
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laurie!
      You have quite an undertaking ahead of you! It sounds like an uphill battle--few resources, children who are way behind, and a test designed to be as difficult as one can possibly imagine! It looks like you are doing everything you can to get your students ready, which is amazing. It's great that you are already looking at those test questions, especially the Fig 19 questions. We know we will have a new company writing the STAAR this year, but if it is anything like previous years, about half of the test will involve Fig 19 in some way, and it will likely be the summary and inferencing portions. I would look into IStation, not for the computer piece for the students but because of the lessons that go along with it. I would also check out Core Clicks by Scholastic, which has some great question stems as well. Speaking of stems, I would pull the ones your students are missing out of the test and start writing questions for everything you are doing with those types of stems. Walk them through how to make an inference over and over, starting with the concrete. Talk to them about what makes a good summary and a bad summary and how to tell if information is critical or not. There are some STAAR ready materials you could get your hands on if the district is willing to purchase anything for you, but you may have to create your own or find some inexpensive Fig 19 resources on Teachers Pay Teachers. I really feel that having those deep conversations with students over and over again is the best way to go. Your kids are mature enough to handle the concepts--unlike our third graders--so it may just take some repetition. Also, you may need to take some of them back to their independent reading level and work on some phonics and decoding skills. Fountas and Pinnell has a great program for phonics, but there's also a lot on Teachers Pay Teachers. If your kids can't read on level, comprehension won't matter that much. Most secondary teachers have no idea how to teach decoding because they've never had to do it before, so you may need to rely on some other resources to help yourself with that. Again, Istation has some great lessons, and you can even find some phonics lessons on YouTube that are helpful. If you can give me specific areas where they need help, I can probably find some resources for you. Best of luck!
      Amy

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much for sharing your Fig. 19 lesson and the recommendations as well. I am using Fig. 19 on my SLO, Student Learning Objective, and I would appreciate it if you have any more recommendations for Inferencing. I do agree with you that that one is one of the toughest to teach, but I love to challenge myself, so I selected that student expectation to work on for my own professional growth. So, please share if you have any lessons for GT students who need interventions on this TEK in order to be at masters level, for it is a requirement at our district.
    thank you,
    H. Rod.

    ReplyDelete
  5. great site, I am also visiting this site regularly, this website is actually good and the visitors are genuinely sharing pleasant thoughts.
    Click Here : caterpillar used wheel excavator

    ReplyDelete